Header

LOTS OF GLAMOUR, ESPECIALLY IN SMALL ROOMS IS VERY IMPORTANT. - DAVID NETTO

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Southern Summers

Recently I was having a discussion with a friend concerning the hierarchy of South Carolina versus North Carolina. Naturally, I fought hard for the more southern of the two, citing things such as the battery, the state dance (the shag, duh!) and the fact that we have the lowcountry, midlands and upstate (what other state designates its various regions so well?). Anyways, our discussion lead to the common love of Southern Summers, and the special memories we both have from growing up in the Carolinas.

Commonly agreed upon highlights:

Long hot summer afternoons spent swimming at neighborhood pools
thus allowing bathing suit wearing from 8 am - 8 pm
Booming afternoon thunderstorms
Catching fireflies in Mason Jars
Catching tadpoles in streams (and in my case keeping them as pets for 3+ years)
Trips to North Carolina beaches
Eating our weight in Flavor-Ice
Ice Cream Trucks
Front Porch sitting
Watermelon Eating
Dusk Bike Rides
Summer Softball (I lasted 1 year with this...)
Growing vegetables on the back porch
Moi galavanting on a Carolina beach circa 1989?
(in a nautical sequin bathing suit, naturally)


2 comments:

  1. I loveee this! I have lived in NC my whole life, but would me more than willing to move to SC. I love all the things you listed, I definitely think all the summer nights spent outside until it was dark (which was like 9 oclock) when I was younger stand out in my mind. Even though I had already taken a bath and washed teh chlorine out of my hair and the sunscreen off of my skin, I would go back outside to play some more. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even as a precious and precocious 2 year old, your appreciation for all things nautical is evident. The weight of the sequins on your bathing suit surpassed your body weight, but you shine like a true magpie! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete