Five Loaves Cafe.

Absolutely, hands down my favorite, favorite, favorite restaurant. Granted, I do love a good filet from Magnolia's, and Chai's is also a favorite (shrimp and grits, please!), but Five Loaves is a beloved, and dearly missed place I almost always ate multiple times a week in college. Every time I go back to Charleston it is simply mandatory to go to Five Loaves. This trip is preferably taken on a Tuesday or Friday night (for half off bottles of wine!) but, anytime will do.
I cannot eat enough of their potato broccoli cheddar soup and spinach salad. I never thought I would actually say "I'm craving a Spinach Salad" but, it must be said... this is the best spinach salad. ever. In addition to baby spinach, there is fresh mozzarella, polenta croutons, toasted slivered almonds and sliced red onions.* I always get it with the balsamic garlic dressing as well. I could eat this salad everyday, for the rest of my life and never tire of it. When I first discovered this gem in 2005 they had several locations in downtown Charleston, one conveniently being located practically across from my freshman dorm. Sadly, the 5LC that was on Calhoun and King closed in 2007. However the Cannon Street location is still open and was always well worth the short trip from Duncan.
That being said, if anyone in Charleston wants to send me some 5 Loaves... it would be lovely. Also, a Hot Mozz from Bull Street Gourmet!
* Yes, the last time I was in Charleston I documented this fantastic combination so I could always remember the delicious food I cant have in DC... still looking for "favorites" in DC. Keyword: Still (14 months later...)
OMG, have you really been in DC 14 months? Crazy!
ReplyDeleteFive Loaves is one of my favorites too!! I'm obsessed with their tomato tarragon soup, soooo good.
ReplyDelete